What You Need To Know About Adoption
Adoption is one of the kindest choices you can make when you want to grow your family. However, while the decision is kind and your motives are in the right place, the process is not simple.
At David W. Smith II PLLC, attorney David Smith is a diligent, compassionate adoption lawyer who helps people across Dallas build their families. His understanding of Texas and Oklahoma family law allows him to provide efficient and effective advice. He’s here to answer all your adoption questions, such as:
What should you expect during the adoption process?
The adoption process is a complex legal chain of events that can differ between Texas and Oklahoma. It begins often with a home visit and filing forms. You will likely undergo multiple interviews. Depending on the type of adoption you seek, you may have to consult with multiple legal professionals, including immigration attorneys. You may need to register as a foster parent.
Additionally, adoption is not a fast process. It takes an immense amount of time and is legally laborious. However, it is worth the effort.
What are the types of adoption?
All adoptions are somewhat different simply because everyone involved has unique personalities, ideas and priorities. There are also several types of adoption that will change how you proceed:
- Stepparent adoption: Adopting a stepchild is often somewhat easier than other types of adoption, but not at all without serious challenges.
- Grandparent adoption: When a grandparent must step in to care for a grandchild, there can be many upsetting legal obstacles.
- International adoption: Adopting a child from another country is a complex family and immigration law issue.
- Private adoption: Using a private adoption agency can make things easier in one sense, but it is also much more competitive.
- Public adoption: Going through the state of Texas for adoption can come with unique difficulties.
Whatever choice you make as you move forward with adoption, David will be ready to act as your guide and lawyer.
How can a lawyer help with adoption?
A lawyer has insight into the legal systems around adoption that a layperson cannot underestimate. Your attorney knows exactly what the timelines and requirements are, and David is ready to step in for you.